Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturdays



We have put 3 of our 4 children in soccer starting at age 3. I am sure I will sign up the fourth when he hits the magic age. None of them have actually liked it. They enjoy the treats at the end for sure and I think that is the main motivation for going! They all have given the running a good shot, but they mostly steer clear of actually kicking the ball. As long as they are on the perimeter of the swarm and someone else has it under control they have been pleased. This year for Lucas (his 3rd season, the first he played 1 game and then refused) we thought we had a soccer player. He was excited to be on the field, and he went after the ball and kicked it. This practice came to a screeching halt when he got hit twice on the head with the ball. He then followed his siblings patterns and skirted around the actual contact with the ball. Funny thing, we continue this practice and we all really like it!

Now, football - FOOTBALL, really! I didn't imagine having a son play football. I imagined soccer, basketball, SKATEBOARDING, mountain biking - not football. When my tender Conner asked to play tackle football I told him he would be getting hit, thrown to the ground, etc. He smiled and said, "I know". After my much complaining (not his) of a month of 5 day a week 2 hour practices, lots of bruises, bought and lost uniform pieces and now several games . . .

I am loving dragging my little kids in the freezing rain to watch these boys run into each other! I even get tempted to watch football on tv! Go figure! I tend to fall in love with those things my most precious ones love.

1 comment:

Jami said...

Oh how I can relate with the whole soccer thing. I'm suprised and yet a little relieved to hear that your kids are the same way. About the fourth or fifth game of each season I always think "Why am I doing this again?"

Conner looks awesome in his uniform. Way to go Conner!!!!